Friday, March 9, 2012

Sewers of the American dream.

I found THIS ARTICLE on a certain social network that a friend posted earlier today.  Please click on the link and read it before continuing on with this post.

My initial reaction was anger.  I've tried to settle down.  It's been a few hours and I'm still pissed.  This blog thing has been great therapy for me, so I figure writing is my healthiest outlet right now.  Chances are, if you're reading this blog, you are either connected to me and my son somehow, or you are a stranger who is connected to someone with Down syndrome in some way.  Either way, you're probably unsettled (at the very least) by this news.

I generally take a staunch pro-life stance.  I think abortion is a horrible choice.  In our country it has been lawfully allowed to be a choice, unfortunately.  People are responsible for the choices they make.  I think it sucks, but I'm not going to ride someone for making poor choices.  However, I take this one personally. This is my blog, so I can write whatever I want.  Another plus to living in the United States.

We're spoiled in the US.  To a horribly sickening degree.  We are allowed to consume, abuse, and throw out whatever we want and to any amount we choose.  We can do whatever we want with little consequence until it affects others.  I don't need to go into detail for you to draw your own conclusions and ideas of what I'm referring to.  We can also file lawsuits and get a lifetime worth of cash for trivial crap.  On to my point...

The couple in this article are not hurting for money (or at least they shouldn't be).  Dudes an engineer, and she's a dental hygienist.  THEY WON the $3 million dollar law suit.

I'm angry, not so much about the abortion issue.  I'm full of sorrow that our society allowed them to win. I'm full of sorrow that only 11% of babies with Down syndrome are allowed to live.   You shouldn't have to be a person of high moral standards or faith for something like this to disturb you. I'm a teacher and the sole provider in my family.  I work hard to honor God with my life, make a difference in the lives of others, take care of my family, and sleep well at night.  But I make peanuts for the circus act I lead.  These people do not and they got $3 million for "the estimated extra lifetime costs of caring for a child with Down syndrome."  This is no different than people who abuse welfare in my opinion.  America, you should be ashamed.  The jurors unanimously voted on their behalf.  All 12 of them.  Pure disgust.  

I'm going to close with some words that I would say to this couple:

Having a child with Down syndrome is a blessing.  You don't deserve your daughter.  Life is not without struggle and trials, even heartache.  People like you think you can skate through unscathed.  God forbid something "unpleasant" happen.  

What you should have done was have a good cry, go to a support group or whatever you needed.  Then put your big boy pants on, hold your chin up, and get on with life.  Instead, you have whined and complained, and enough people listened and awarded you for it.  You live a shameful life of self-obsession and vanity.  I hope your daughter brings joy to everyone she's around and you live a lifetime of shame for your actions.

3 comments:

  1. Couldn't have said it better myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. I'm ashamed for them and for us as Americans who rewarded them for being so selfish. I'd like to repost this on my fb page if you wouldn't mind? Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes of course! Share it with whoever you'd like!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. If you choose to leave a comment, please mind your manners. Positive comments and constructive criticism are always welcome. Negativity and name calling will result in a chin check.