Friday, August 3, 2012

Oh back to school...

School starts back up next week.  I've been setting up my classroom, and attending meetings and trainings since last Thursday.  I'm stoked to get back to my teaching career.  I fell back on my previous job as an electrician during the summer.  I've done electrical construction work on and off for the past 10 years.  I'm thankful to have it to fall back on when needed, but I don't care who you are or how long you've worked in the heat... you never get used to it.  Needless to say, I couldn't wait to get back to my class.




Today at one of my trainings I overheard some complaining about the temperature in the training room and about having to come back to work, etc.  I can't relate.  Teaching should be fun.  If it stops being fun for me, I'm going to do something else or drastically change the way I teach to keep it fun.  There's nothing like going back to manual labor to put things in perspective.  I don't really feel like I needed perspective, but going from teaching to construction is drastic and I worked hard to keep from complaining.  I was happy to be sitting in the AC today, even if it was only set at 80 degrees.  It sure beats digging a trench or pulling wire outside in 110 degree heat.


So I got my class list this week.  I have 6 students to start the year off with and they're all boys.  Only two have Down syndrome and I had both of them last year.

I am getting a couple of boys that are diagnosed on the Autism spectrum.  I'm looking forward to the challenge and learning experience for myself.

Despite working construction this summer, my family and I did manage to squeeze in a few camping trips to the mountains, lake, and the beach.  We all love to camp, but I must say that Judah's way with words is the best when it comes to camping.  His favorite saying is "SEEEEP BAGS!"

Judah and his little sister Aveline.

He also adds the "pop" sound to any word that ends with "p".  I.e. "camPOP" for camp.  I love it.  He's a blast.  He also loves to swim... in a pool.  But like me... not so much in large bodies of water.  We both just stick to the beach...


My little sister Misty and I.
He calls it "siimming", but doesn't do anything but play and dig in the sand.  That's my boy!  I'm going to start posting more videos too... and pictures.  I'm also on Instagram, @just_jarrod.  Cheers!




Judah and his sisters.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. If you choose to leave a comment, please mind your manners. Positive comments and constructive criticism are always welcome. Negativity and name calling will result in a chin check.